Thursday 24 September 2009

Flood by Ian Rankin

Just finished this novel. I got it out of the library because I've seen him on newsnight but not read anything that he has written before. It was an interesting read, you could tell that the place he was writing about had significance to him. He explains in the introduction how it was based on his hometown and I think that that familiarity with the place and the people really comes through in the novel.

He says he started writing it in January and finished in July which I am always interested to find out about. There are some great descriptions in there such as the people on the bus who he describes as being 'lost, as hollow as the most brittle sea shells'. I enjoyed the book and I liked the ending too.

I that in the short stories that I have been writing when ou do focus on an event or person from the past it does open up a host of things lurking in your imagination that you almost forgot were there.

He is signing copies of his new book in Waterstones soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment