Tuesday 1 February 2011

First week back

We have been discussing Rings of Saturn by Sebald, this week. A strange book that I liked, then got lost in, then liked. Everything we read is useful in some way the same as any book that you read, you take out the good and the bad and can use them in some way.

We had our first workshop too and I stupidly volunteered to have my stuff workshopped soon, it gives me a week and a bit to work on it. I'm trying to insert some more tension into it now, because basically it's about a day out to the museum and a bus ride. I figure that if I get this out of the way then I can work on the next bit without worrying about tweaking for a while. Could always go down the Sebald route, just go off on tangents, write a bit about the war in the middle to confuse them into thinking it's a very intellectual and superior work. Probably not a good idea.

I think I'm getting to a better understanding of where I'm going with it now but there's a lot of filling to get to 80 000 words. Plod on plod on.

No comments:

Post a Comment