Thursday 4 November 2010

Is this cheating?

I have gone on the internet and used the faces of strangers for some of my characters. This might be cheating but at least I can picture them a bit more clearly. It is working as a starting point anyway. I though this was a cunning plan instead of basing them on people I know.

My villian was too obvious, he wasn't twisting his waxed moustache but it was close to that. I don't want more of a rounded character. So I've modelled him on Steven Merchant. Now I like him too much, I'm not sure he's scary at all. Oh dear. Steven Merchant why do you have to be so likeable?

2 comments:

  1. You steal faces from the internet, I steal names from graveyards.
    Real-people names from gravestones seem much more plausable and interesting than made-up ones. Here's a few of my favourites:
    John Shadrach Slinger; Alice Maude Wolfall; Charles Purdon Silly; Rimmon Clayton; Dolly Salliss; Oliver Speddy; Harold Muckalt; Bindloss Smith; Nellie Bell; Peregrine John Smart; Ninian Smart; Isabella Row; Jane Bailie. And some nice alliteration: Alice Arkle; Ernest Ellershaw; Clara Ann Airey; Henry Homer; Herbert and Harriet Hall and Maria Marriott.

    Would you be able to base your baddy on a bully or suchsuch from school? Extract some revernge?
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had me reading gravestones now. You're right, you've got some corkers there. This is the way forward!

    I like the idea of basing your characters on someone you don't like and getting your revenge. I haven't tried that before. This could be great fun.

    ReplyDelete